Porkeri is a village in the Faroe Islands, situated northeast of Vágur on Suðuroy's (island) east coast. As of 2008 it had a population of 362, and it has been inhabited at least as early as the 14th century.
Funningur is located on the north-west coast of island of Eysturoy. To the west of the village rises the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands: Slættaratindur (882m or 2,900ft).
|The wooden turf-roofed church dates from 1847 and stands at the water's edge.|
Gjógv is a village located on the northeast tip of the island of Eysturoy, in the Faroe Islands and 63 km (39 mi) north by road from the capital of Tórshavn. The village was named after a 200-metre (650 ft) long sea-filled gorge that runs north to the sea from the village.
Kirkjubøur is the southernmost village on Streymoy, Faroe Islands and the country's most important historical site. It is located on the west coast and has a view towards the islands Hestur and Koltur.
|Turf (grass roofed) houses in Saksun link|
Saksun is a village near the north-west coast of the Faroese island of Streymoy. This village lies in the bottom of what used to be an inlet of the sea, surrounded by high mountains.
Vágur (meaning Bay) is a village on the island of Suðuroy, part of the Faroe Islands. It is situated on the east coast of the island on the Vágsfjørður fjord, and was founded in the fourteenth century. The port area, which is 14 m (46ft) in depth, is situated on the northern part of the fjord. [, map]
|Gásadalur is located in the pristine natural environment link|
Gásadalur is located on the west-side of Vágar, Faroe Islands, and enjoys a panoramic view over the island of Mykines. This village is located on the edge of Mykinesfjørður, surrounded by the highest mountains on Vágar.
Múli lies on the outermost northern edge of Borðoy's east coast. Its settlement can be dated back to the 13th century. Múli became the last community in the archipelago to receive electricity in 1970. It was lated connected with Norðdepil by Road 743 in an attempt to stop depopulation. Nevertheless, Múli has been considered abandoned since 2002, though there are still four registered residents. During the Summer months some of its former residents use their old houses as vacation homes. [, map]
The village of Fámjin is looking directly out to the harsh sea, although partly protected by a stone reef, which becomes visible at low tide. The village is surrounded by the beautiful natural scenery of the highest mountains on Suðuroy.
Eiði is a village located on the north-west tip of Eysturoy, Faroe Islands. Its name means isthmus in the Faroese language. The town has a population of 669 inhabitants. In the center of the village there is a large stone church from 1881. It was built in connection with the village's centennial. [, map]
Dalur is located on the east-side of Sandoy (island). The village lies in the bottom of a relatively large valley. Dalur means valley in Faroese.
Elduvík is a small village in the Faroe Islands. Elduvík is located in the Funningsfjørður-inlet on Eysturoy's (island) northeast side. The village which has a population of 23 is split into two parts by a small river.
Tvøroyri lies picturesquely on the north side of the Trongisvágsfjørður (fjord) on the east coast of Suðuroy, Faroe Islands.
The village of Sandavágur lies on the south coast of the Faroese island of Vágar, and has been voted the most well-kept village in the Faroes twice. The name Sandavágur means sandy creek and refers to the beach down by the inlet. From one point in Sandavágur you can get a view of all the southern islands in the Faroes.
|Church in the Sandavágur link|